The Melee of Single Motherhood

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My Vacation Day

Yesterday I finally got to spend a day off having fun with my child. This was the first in about seven months. Since most of my vacation days were spent with my dear friend Migraine, I didn’t get to take off any time at Christmas. So for his last day of winter break and the first work day of the new year, I took a vacation day.
It began with the mandatory cleaning and organizing that always takes place when mommy has a day off. This time we purged Wyatt’s you-can-no-longer-walk-in walk-in closet. After bagging two trash bags of old toys, one bag of trash, and three of old clothes, we headed to my acupuncture appointment. Followed by a quick game of “where are my football cards?” …which were back at the acupuncturist’s office. Ah ha, turn car around and retrieve cards then head to PetsMart for new Chow 2010 calendar. The pet store is always kinda fun. Noisy birds of bright colors, little furry rodents in cages (people actually keep these things as pets?) and the cats. We even got to play with a Chow puppy for a few minutes before she went in for a grooming. Wyatt located the calendar I wanted. Score!
Then we were off to have lunch followed by an afternoon of snow tubing. No, we don’t own an actual sled, so we improvised and used the inner tube from the pool last summer. Bundled up in many layers, including long johns, extra socks, scarves, hats, and hoods, we set out to climb the steep hill by the church close to our house. Oh did I mention that Wyatt had to pee as soon I had him all bundled up?
Once we made it to the top of the hill, Wyatt went down first and then made a very sluggish climb back the top. That’s when I ran back to the house to get the inhaler. So five minutes and two puffs later, we were both headed down the hill together with my ass dragging the entire way! After about 40 frozen minutes of fun, Wyatt was ready to call it a day. Which was fine with me …my ass was so numb I thought it would have permanent damage (apparently I have enough cushioning to sustain long intervals in the snow).
I started yet another load of laundry on my vacation day and began getting ready to head out for Wyatt’s dentist appointment. Sigh. Why did I make this appointment on my vacation day? Oh yeah so I wouldn’t have to miss work. Great. Oh and one more thing… we haven’t even been to the gym yet. Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment