The Melee of Single Motherhood

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Filling the Void

It’s funny how we as humans try to fill our voids…we buy big houses, nice cars, and dogs, we have kids, we become room mothers and over controlling stay-at-home moms, we drink too much alcohol, we get expensive graduate degrees we don’t plan on using, we have extra marital affairs, we have sex with strangers, take up new hobbies like scrap booking, and crafting…is that really a hobby?
Now you may read this and say, “I just like scrap booking I’m not filling a void.” But you are fulfilling a need (a void if you will). Maybe it is just a need to create or perhaps it’s deeper…maybe you are creating the illusion that your life is picture perfect. All humans have needs and when they are not met, it leaves a void. Or perhaps the void comes first then the “need” to fill it? Hmm which came first – the chicken or the egg?
I do know that I have voids and I’ve watched myself try to fill them with various things… I needed to feel safe and protected; so I bought a dog (a Chow no less). I needed to feel desired; so I have sex with someone. I needed to feel loved; so I hold on to old romantic relationships to remind myself that I am lovable. I needed to feel successful; so I bought the most expensive car I could afford. I need to feel companionship; so I eat a box of candy.
I am not alone in this venture to “fill”… I look around and many others who are likely unaware of their need to “fill”. So does this stuff, this “filling” ever really quench that need? I would have to say NO. I still feel empty most of the time. Whether it’s because I have little to no relationship with family (not saying I want one- my family system is not exactly healthy). Maybe it’s because I’m a single parent. Maybe it’s because I’ve had several disappointing romantic relationships.
Regardless, I am going to try to stop filling my void with things, and start focusing on more meaningful relationships with my friends.

P.S. I really do love my dog –she is much more than a “filler”…

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen I'm single I would love to get to know more about you I'm 27 years old I live in new jersey in brick. I was wondering if you would like to talk and get to know each other I read your blog and I'm so sorry to hear that your having issues with your sons dad/ father but I'm willing to help you and take care of you and your children/ kids for you I would love to help you raise your kids with you.! If you would you may or please feel free to call me at 732 908 6306 my email is jcdelgaudio64@gmail.com I'm very supportive , I'm a loving , caring , sweet guy in a Leo for my horoscope sign my birthday is in July. So if you would like to meet up one day everyday is good for me. ! I've never ever had a girlfriend or a real relationship with a woman in a virgin.! I'm athletic , I'm a Christian, Lutheran im a kind / kind hearted guy im romantic , im generous ! I'm out going I like sports , tv, music . I'm a great listener ! If you choose me I will treat you right! I will treat you like royalty, im loyal too.! I will treat you like a queen, princess.!

    ReplyDelete